• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Iowa Governor Chet Culver recently announced the creation of the nation’s first dental-only program designed to serve children of low income families.

“Ensuring our children have access to quality, affordable health care is a top priority of my administration,” said Culver. “I am proud to announce this dental-only option as a major step toward getting kids the coverage they not only need, but deserve. We are once again showing why Iowa is a leader in helping hard-working families by providing children’s health care.”

DHS Director Charles Krogmeier believes that as many as 22,000 underinsured children could be served by the program within one year of the March 1, 2010 launch date.

Iowa’s dental-only program spawned out of a 2009 move by Congress to allow states to institute dental-only programs that serve the underinsured. The program is expected to cost $4.9 million dollars through the next fiscal year. The federal government will pick up 75 percent of the tab, while the State of Iowa is responsible for the remaining 25 percent.

Low income Iowan families whose income falls below 150 percent of the poverty level can access the program free, and others eligible for the program will be gain access for no more than $30 per month.

For more information about Iowa’s dental-only program for children in low income families, please call 1-800-257-8563 or visit hawk-i.org.

Sources: kcci.com, siouxcityjournal.com

Share and Enjoy

Cory Kemp is the founder and chief editor of DentalPlanCards.com. He's committed to providing consumers with helpful tips for saving money at the dentist. Follow me on Google +